Tuesday, September 28, 2010

September 3, 2010

Dearest Linda:
I love you very much and I miss being with you. My lawyer is trying to get permission from I U Hospital for us to talk on the phone. I would love to hear your voice, if only for a few minutes. It is very lonely here at home without you to keep me company. I don’t understand why Debbie would not let us talk on your cell phone when she called me at the house.
I wish I could talk on the phone to you to figure out what it is you want for yourself. I am working with my lawyer to get you transferred to RML Specialty Hospital here in Hinsdale, but Dr. Tector and Indiana University Hospital are resisting the transfer. I don’t know if it is because you tell them you don’t want it, or because they think they need to be in control. I would love the chance to talk this over with you and Debbie if she will be there with you this weekend, and if she will let me talk to the two of you on your cell phone. Ask her, please. I hear they changed your trach so you can talk with less effort, and I would love just to hear your voice and be able to tell you how much I love you. If Chuck comes to visit you over the weekend I know he will let me talk to you.
I wish I could do more to help get you transferred to RML here in Hinsdale. I don’t know why Dr. Tector won’t let you go. You and Debbie both have to insist to him that you must be transferred. He has no right to hold you prisoner like this, if you want to be in another hospital. Indiana University Hospital has hurt you enough times, and they need to let you go somewhere else for care and treatment. The hospital lawyer and Linda Mills, the discharge planner, tell my lawyer that they are encouraging Dr. Tector to sign discharge orders for your transfer, but that he is refusing to sign them. If you want to be transferred, you need to discuss with the social worker and Linda Mills the possibility of signing yourself out against medical advice and coming to RML without Dr. Tector’s discharge order. You do have the right to do that if you want to. I don’t want to be fighting for something you do not want, but if you do want to be transferred to Hinsdale then I will fight in court to get the transfer for you. I just need to hear from you what it is you want.
Richard is taking care of the finances, but it is slow going. I hope he is telling you exactly what he is doing. Your health insurance premiums are all paid up. Everything is OK here at home. There is enough canned soup and breakfast cereal in the pantry to feed me for the rest of the month, and then some. There is also a good stock of pasta and sauces to eat. I cleaned all the old food out of the refrigerator which has been in there since we left home in April, and washed out the fridge. I just bought some fresh milk for the cereal, some soda and a dozen and a half eggs so I will have a variety of things to cook and eat. I am doing OK. RML Specialty Hospital has a bed for you, and all the financial and logistical arrangements are made for you to go there if Debbie and Dr. Tector will let you go. Talk to them. Or, if that is not what you want, please tell me.
I heard you had a blood infection, and got some more transfusions. I hope you are feeling OK. I know this has all been very hard on you. I wish they would let me be there with you to comfort you and sing to you at night so you can sleep better. I have been reading books in our library, but I would rather be reading them out loud to you like we used to do at bedtime. It is really horrible not knowing what is going on with you or how you are progressing. If you want the transfer to RML, I would love having you somewhere close by where I could at least talk to you every day and let you know how much I love you and miss you.
After you read this letter, please try to find some way to get back to me and let me know what it is you want for yourself. I don’t want to be wasting time, money and energy fighting for the wrong things. You can tell Chuck want you want. Or, you can deliver your answer through the person who brought you this letter. Or, if they will let you, you can call me and tell me yourself. That would be best of all.
I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment