Tuesday, September 28, 2010

September 1, 2010

My life is now completely out of my personal control. Indiana University Hospital has my wife in a secret location within its walls, and has cut off all communication between me and Linda. In addition, no one there will communicate with me about her except through lawyers. Linda has a cell phone in her room but it is apparently out of her reach from her bed, and neither her sister nor the nurses will let her speak or listen to me on it.

Our family financial affairs are now in the hands of Linda’s accountant Richard, who has control of all the money we have left in savings and everything coming in from insurance claims and Linda’s disability benefits. Unfortunately it seems the doctors at I U Hospital are digging in their heels for a long fight, and I will have to conserve all my emotional, mental, financial and physical energy for the battle. The first thing we need to accomplish to set things right is to wrest Linda from their physical control.

To all the friends and neighbors who are helping us, by looking after our home in our absence, by visiting Linda in the hospital, by keeping her company now that I am forbidden to see or speak to her, by passing along information about how she is doing and what the plans for her future are, and by letting her know I am still here for her and still am doing everything the doctors will let me do to make her safe and comfortable, I can’t thank you enough for everything you have done and are doing. The same goes for those of you too far away to do anything but hope and pray for a brighter future for us.

It seems pretty clear to me now that the doctors in Indianapolis have no intention of letting Linda go short of a court order, or her getting up and walking out of there on her own two feet. That they believe they have the right to imprison her that way is the height of arrogance, and that they are getting away with it is an utter travesty. All in the name of avoiding the consequences of the mistakes they have made in her care and treatment and the hurts they have inflicted on her as a result. I won’t ever give up the fight for Linda, but resources of all sorts are running pretty low right now. Linda has always been my emotional strength, and as the forced separation grows longer I have to dig deeper and deeper into those reserves as I remember how badly she needs me to fight for her in her present frail and isolated situation. As the rock ballad says: “Send lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan!”

No comments:

Post a Comment