Monday, September 27, 2010

July 18, 2010

Some of you have known and loved Linda a lot longer than I have been married to her, and I want to respect those relationships as much as I possibly can under these difficult circumstances. So, even though the specifics of our plans have not been finalized, I am going to explain as much as I can what will be happening over the next several days, so that those of you who need to or wish to can make your arrangements accordingly.

I am now holding in my hand a printout of the written report from the neurologists who have been examining and evaluating Linda since the unfortunate events I have been reporting to all of you over the last several weeks and months. The report is three pages long, but the gist of it is expressed quite convincingly in a few words near the middle of the last page: "a poor prognosis for meaningful neurological recovery."

Both neurologists have recommended a final test - an MRI of Linda's brain - to complete the process of ruling out the existence of any lesion or disease which might be subject to treatment or cure, but neither they nor I, nor any of the other doctors involved, expect the MRI to show anything in the least bit hopeful. I expect the MRI will be completed sometime Monday. Barring a miraculous surprise, this is my intended plan after the MRI is completed and the results are in:

First, I am going to arrange things at home so I will be able to care for Linda there, either at our house or a nearby facility, in her present condition, should she be able to breathe on her own after the ventilator is turned off. As those of you who witnessed the signing of Linda's advance directive are already aware, she asked not to be kept on a ventilator, or to have a feeding tube, dialysis, CPR or other extraordinary measures taken should she become permanently unconscious. As soon as arrangements for possible care at or near home are in place, probably late this week, I will ask the doctors here to extubate Linda and turn off her ventilator. At that point, either she will wake up enough to breathe on her own, and I will bring her back to Chicago, or she will die, and I will make memorial arrangements according to her wishes.

If any of you want to come to Indianapolis to see Linda before her ventilator is turned off, or when that is being done, let me know your plans and I will try to accommodate them as far as possible consistent with the needs and policies of Indiana University Hospital. Otherwise, please continue to pray for her and for us as we proceed through this most difficult process of honoring her wishes for a dignified and comfortable final period of her life.

Please know that Linda and I both truly cherish and acknowledge the steadfast love and friendship, prayers, and support each of you has freely and generously given over the years, and during these most difficult recent days. I don't know what else to say at this point, so I will stop. As the details of future arrangements develop, I will keep everyone informed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment