Tuesday, September 28, 2010

September 21, 2010

Debbie:

I'm forwarding this to you, with a copy to Chuck, because you never respond to any of my E-mails, and you are cooperating with Indiana University Hospital in cutting off all communication between me and Linda.

As you can see, in five weeks, Linda will be losing her Blue Cross/Blue Shield primary coverage through Huntington Learning Center. I am doing what I can through our State Farm agent and the Medicare and social security disability people to look into getting alternative insurance coverage for her, as even my COBRA BC/BS, which until now has been Linda's secondary insurance, runs out next April, and according to Richard, she can't get on Medicare until November 1, 2011, so she will be altogether without insurance from May 1, 2011 through November 1, 2011 based on what I have been told up to now.

As you can see, we have five weeks to find a solution to this very complex insurance problem. Working through to the best answer is complicated immensely by the fact that neither you nor anyone at I U Hospital will talk to me, or let me talk to Linda about her insurance situation, or anything else. As you can imagine, Linda's continued care and treatment are in serious jeopardy now because Linda and I can't possible pay the millions of dollars her ongoing care and treatment will cost during the five months it appears she will be completely without insurance coverage of any kind.

Legally, solving this situation is up to you, who now holds Linda's sole health care power of attorney, and Richard, who holds her financial power of attorney. I'm not permitted to talk to her health care providers, or the I U Hospital social worker who could help get to a better answer on the Medicare and Social Security Disability issues, and you won't respond to my communications in any way. Obviously, I would like to help work out the best possible solution for Linda to this mess, but I can't do anything for her without the ability to communicate, at least through you, who see her every week and have more contact with her than anyone else.

I have no wish to be antagonistic, however, Linda's and my future financial security is now completely in your hands. If your failure to respond to this e-mail causes either of us any future financial losses, please be on notice that for my part I will hold you personally responsible for every penny.

I know that the staff at I U Hospital pressured you into putting yourself in the situation you are legally in now regarding this, and maybe you can prevail upon them to let me back into the communication loop so I can help find an answer to this problem. I know you are very angry with me about things that have happened, but we have to put that aside for now so we can help Linda solve this very serious problem which will affect her and me financially for the rest of our lives.

The next move is yours. I'm sure you clearly understand my position. I'm copying Dr. Tector and Cindy DeBord on this e-mail so they know what is going on. I will mail a copy to Michele J. Calderon Johns as well, for her file. I hope Richard will also pass this information along to his social worker contact at I U Hospital right away so she can get to work trying to come up with a solution. Unless you get back to me promptly with a phone call or an e-mail in response to this, there will be little more I can do to help. Again, I hate to be antagonistic, but I have to take every necessary measure to protect Linda and me from financial losses which will most likely follow should you choose not communicate back to me regarding this.

One thing you could do to protect yourself from financial liability, should you elect to do so, would be to resign as Linda's health care power of attorney. I would be happy to take back that responsibility from you, and of course that would also solve I U Hospital's communication blockade, as they would have to deal with me if I am her health care power of attorney. If you wish to take that way out of this mess, let me know right away and I'll draw up the papers for you and Linda to sign. If you send me a copy of the power you are holding now, I could get started on drafting those documents as soon as I receive what you have. The same way out of this mess offers itself to Richard if he wants not to be a part of the solution. I'm sure he will let me know what his preference is in that regard. As long as the two of you continue acting under the powers you hold, you are legally responsible for the outcome.

It's your move.

No comments:

Post a Comment