Tuesday, September 28, 2010

August 26, 2010

The last four days have been very busy, but nothing at all has happened, really. Monday morning I was in Indianapolis for the preliminary hearing on my trespass and battery arrest. Nothing happened, the case was continued to October 23.
Then I went over to the office of our lawyer who is trying to get Linda transferred to RML Specialty Hospital here in Hinsdale. Both RML and Clarian keep telling him that they are working on getting her transferred there, but nothing is happening. Today I hand delivered the checks paying for Blue Cross Blue Shield premiums on both our policies so there will be no doubt the September premium amounts are paid up.
Richard our accountant friend is working on processing Linda’s claims under her AFLAC policies for her hospitalizations this year at Northwestern Memorial, Indiana University Hospital and Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana. Once these are paid the financial crisis should abate somewhat, but who knows how long that will take. Tuesday I spent most of the day putting together copies of all the Northwestern bills for Richard’s claim backup. Yesterday was just a tense day of waiting for word about Linda’s transfer, which did not come until 4:30 p.m. in the form of more questions from RML about Linda’s BC/BS coverage through Huntington. I faxed some additional papers to RML, but as of the close of business there was still no word on when Linda can expect to be transferred, and this morning nothing new has been brought to our attention by way of either questions or news.
Chuck was with Linda yesterday, and I was able to speak to her for a few minutes using his cell phone. Linda keeps telling the people at IU Hospital she wants to come back to Chicago, and they keep telling her it will happen soon, but one roadblock after another mysteriously appears to delay her transfer. Linda spends more hours each day breathing without ventilator support, but she still needs some assistance as she tires out at the end of the day. She continues to be troubled by fluid buildup on her lungs, which apparently the doctors are draining off with repeated thoracentesis a couple times each week. I can only guess the physical toll this is taking on her.
They tell me once Linda is transferred to RML I still will not be permitted to visit her there. They say there will be a phone line in her room so I can call her, but they are going to call the police and have me arrested if I set foot on their property. I guess we’ll just have to live with that restriction until she is well enough to come home to me. It’s absolutely something out of Kafka.
I can’t say thank you enough to Gary and Jen at Huntington, Richard for his work on the AFLAC claims, Chuck, Donna and Tom for taking time out to visit Linda when I can’t be there, and the rest of our good friends and neighbors for all your help and support, prayers and good wishes during these trying times. The levels of conflict and complexity involved in what should have been a unified effort to get Linda better has shocked me as much as the mistakes by doctors and nurses have hurt Linda time after time during her ordeal. I only hope someday she can forgive me for not being strong enough to protect her from all those hurts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment