Tuesday, September 28, 2010

August 29, 2010

Dearest Linda:

I have been able to learn this much from conversations I overheard and from things my lawyer has told me.

Indiana University Hospital plans to transfer you here to RML Specialty Hospital in Hinsdale on Wednesday. Pattie wants to ride up with you in the ambulance, and Debbie is planning to be at RML to meet you and get you settled in when the ambulance arrives. I have packed two suitcases with your clothes and toiletries for Pattie to bring along on the ambulance ride if the wants to come to the house and pick them up for you Monday or Tuesday. It should be everything you will need.

RML won't let me visit you there, but they say there will be a telephone where we can talk to each other, and you have your cell phone now so you can call me on my cell or at the house. Richard is taking care of the AFLAC claims and paying your bills for the time being. I am sending all your bills to Richard when they come to the PO Box or to the house.

I gave Pattie Goble two scarves to bring to you out of your lingerie chest, because she said you wanted them. Did she give them to you? Richard gave her your purse and I gave her your cell phone. I know you got the cell phone. Did you get the purse as well? Debbie is very angry with me about all that has happened, and I am very sorry for that. I was only doing what I thought you wanted me to do for you.  I love you very much and I miss being with you every day. The house is OK, comfortable as ever, but very lonely without you here. Your Cadillac won't start because the battery is dead, since no one has driven the car for six months. I will get it running again.

Terry next door has been looking after the house, and the garden is in good shape. Everything is ready for you to come home when you are ready to. I want to stay here at home and wait for you to bet well, and talk to you every day on the phone. Call me on your cell if they will let you. Debbie called the house by accident but would not let me speak with you when she answered. I think she was trying to call Curtis for you. I have my cell phone with me all the time, and I hardly ever leave the house, so you can call anytime.

Some people who come to see you there might try to get you to sign some papers for court here in Chicago to get me thrown out of the house. If you want me to leave, I will do it, but I need to hear that from you, not from someone else who may have other motives for wanting the house to be empty. Be careful what you sign or let others sign for you. You can trust Richard with the money, but not everyone else has your best interests at heart.

I love you and I miss you so much. It is such a shame Indiana University Hospital has decided to come between us like this. I never wanted anything like this to happen. I have always wanted to be by your side to comfort and love you, and protect you from as much hurt as I was able to do. I stayed as long as they would let me, and then the doctors threw me out because they are afraid of a lawsuit later and don't want me to know what is going on any more. Whatever else they may be telling you about me assaulting a nurse and trespassing is a lie. I just didn't want to go without saying goodbye to you and letting you know I was not abandoning you.

I know Debbie cares about you very much, and it is sad she and I could not agree on what needed to be done and not done. That the Hospital used that as an excuse to take me away from you is unforgivable. Be strong over the next couple days, and I will be strong for you. If you can remember to trust only Debbie and Richard, Chuck, Donna and Tom, we will work together to get you back home safe and healthy so we can be together again. You know I will do whatever it takes to make that happen.

Do you remember Gregg? I have been in contact with him and he is ready and willing to help us do whatever we need to do legally. He's the young man who introduced us to Tango Sur restaurant down the street from the Music Box Theater, remember? He is in a practice with his dad now and was eager to do anything he can when I phoned him. He remembers you fondly and wants to help us.

I am sitting in the master bedroom typing this Sunday afternoon, wondering when Pattie is going to come by for your suitcases. If I am allowed to stay here after she leaves then I will be here when you get to RML on Wednesday. If Debbie wants to get the suitcases and have them waiting for you there she can do that and I will give them to her instead. Talk to her about doing that. It might be a lot easier and better for everyone. I know she is very angry with me, but if she can overcome that I will give her everything you will be needing and a lot of problems can be avoided. Talk to her.

I know you still have that awful chest tube on the right side, and I know they gave you a different tracheotomy to help you talk better without getting so tired. I'm sure the physical therapy ladies are trying to help you get stronger. If there's any chance at all that someone can help you call me on your cell phone so we can talk, if only for a minute or two, I would love to hear your voice again. Please forgive me for anything I might have said or done that has upset you. I have always tried to do my best to take good care of you and love you.

Call me from Indiana if you can. Call me from RML in Hinsdale when you get there. Please.

I love you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment